Monday, 15 March 2010

Evaluation Activity 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop forms and conventions of real media products?


It took me a long time to think of a suitable name for the magazine but I finally came up with the name 'Xclusive' which I think is suitable for a RnB/Pop magazine and has connotations of a music magazine. I chose this because the magazine will include exclusive interviews and information about exclusive artists and tracks etc. Looking at the masthead of Blender and my magazine, they are quite similar. During my research before I began to create the music magazine, I noticed that most of the music magazines had used the masthead in the background of the front cover (like seen in the photos) and the photo was slightly in front of the masthead. However, for this to be able to work successfully, the design of the masthead would have to be eye-catching so that the reader can notice the title of the magazine when buying it. I used white text as I thought that this contrasts well with the black background of the front page. I also used a pink neon light around the title to make this more eye-catching and dramatic, I did this because I hoped that it would help to draw attention to the title of the magazine as well as the person on the front cover.


Most of the magazines have close-up photos however here 'Blender' magazine has a medium/long shot which is not as common in music magazine conventions. I chose this model for my music magazine because I thought that she has quite a striking and unique look - for example, her hair contrasts with the dark background of the front cover because it is such a bright colour and she looks like a someone who should appear on the front cover of a music magazine. Originally when I took the photos, her make-up was quite natural and you could not really see that she was wearing any so I edited the photo in photoshop and made her eye-make up more dramatic; I think this makes her look quite rebellious because of her dark eye make-up and the seriousness of her facial expression. Conventionally, the clothes that the model would be wearing would also be quite extravagant so that attention was drawn to the photo. In reflection, I should have made the model wear more colourful/formal clothes as this would draw more attention to the photo. However, I think that the make-up and hair help draw attention to the photo so the fact that the clothing is not very detailed or interesting is not a major problem. The layout of the front cover that I have created is similar to the other music magazine front covers in the way that the articles and what is included in the magazine is written around the photo on the front cover.

Comparing the contents page that I have made with contents pages for real music magazines I can see that I have used different elements from each different type of contents page. For the typical Rock music magazines such as NME and Q, the contents pages are designed in columns and generally with one main image in the middle of the page; also the pages are very full with very few blank spaces. Vibe music magazine is different in the way that the page is not very full and the focus is more on the photo rather than the text; there are also many blank spaces and a lot of the page is not filled with text unlike the other magazines. For my contents page, I have put the magazine title at the top of the page, looking at the other magazines this seems to be a typical convention of most music magazines however Vibe magazine has not used this. Like all of the magazines I have used headings for the different parts of the magazine such as 'features', 'news' etc. However, I did not really use columns so the layout of the text on my contents page seems to be more similar to Vibe magazine than any other.

No comments: